How Much Does It Cost to Move a POD?
If you are researching your options for a local or interstate move, you’ve likely seen ads for portable, on-demand storage containers, aka PODS. These shipping containers promise a convenient and affordable DIY moving experience, but how does that stack up to hiring a full-service moving company?
How Do PODS Work?
When you order a storage container from PODS, the company will drop it off at your location. You’ll keep it as long as you need to, paying by the month. Then, when you’re ready, PODS will return to pick up the container and transport it to your new home. PODS bases its pricing on several factors, including the number and size of your containers, distance, time frame and season.
The largest storage container PODS offers is 16′ x 8′ x 8′, with 835 cubic feet of space. The company estimates their large size can accommodate three to four rooms worth of furniture and other possessions. If your move exceeds the capacity of a single storage container, you’ll need to order more. That means doubling or even tripling your total cost.
Cons of PODS
When you’re making a decision as significant as packing up your life and moving to a new location, it’s vital to weigh the possible advantages and disadvantages of a DIY move. If you choose to use PODS instead of hiring professional movers, consider these possible drawbacks.
- You have to do all the packing and loading yourself, then reverse the process when you arrive at your destination. If you have lots of large, bulky furniture or appliances, trying to move these items yourself might be hazardous, even when you are careful about using correct lifting form.
- It can be challenging to find space to put a portable shipping container in some locations, like apartment complexes, assisted living facilities, condos or busy urban areas.
- A DIY moving process will likely take significantly longer, and you may encounter several unforeseen complications along the way.
- You are responsible for getting all your necessary moving supplies yourself, which can be a separate, hidden cost of PODS. Meanwhile, high-quality boxes, tape, packing paper and padding come as part of the total price tag of your professional local or long-distance move.
- Items like antiques and electronics that are especially delicate or sensitive to temperature changes may not fare well in a portable shipping container. Without the insurance coverage provided by a full-service moving company, you are responsible for paying for the costs of replacement items out of pocket if something breaks.
Long-Distance and Local Moves in Chattanooga
You may spend a bit more on hiring a professional moving company than you would on a DIY move, but it’s impossible to put a price tag on your peace of mind. At Fox Moving and Storage of Chattanooga, we offer white-glove service to get all your precious belongings – and the memories associated with them – safely to your new destination. Our pros have the experience necessary to move items like pianos, which are simultaneously heavy and fragile.
Rest assured, we will always treat your belongings as if they were ours, ensuring a seamless moving experience from start to finish. Request a quote for your full-service company today. We can be at your doorstep 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with as little as one hour’s notice.